The Loy-Reinerd Memorial Library
The deaths of Garrett W. Loy, '40 1/2, and Neil F. Reinerd, '44, in World War II were a great shock to the men of Nabor House at that time. Both were highly respected, well liked, and very capable individuals. Because the membership of Nabor House was still quite small at the time, it was a closely knit group. To lose two out of that closeness made it an even more difficult shock.
Memorial Talked About
As the men returned from military service, talk started immediately about creating some kind of memorial to the two men. Even though such talk was frequent and continued over the years, action seemed to always get turned aside for some reason. The men returning from the war were trying to get their lives in order again. There were marriages, young families, jobs, and similar matters to concern them. Probably the biggest reason was that the house at 811 W. Oregon did not offer good possibilities for a room to dedicate to them.
Even though action was not taken, discussion and desire for a memorial was not turned off. From time to time, contributions to help finance a memorial were received. Until an appropriate memorial could be found, the money was held in a special Loy-Reinerd Memorial Fund.
Memorial Becomes Reality
It was a long time for the memorial to be put on hold, but when the move to 1002 S. Lincoln occurred, the possibility for a memorial became real. A room that was ideally suited for a library and small meetings was the answer. Planning of the room and dedication ceremony began soon after the move to 1002 S. Lincoln. The room was finished with walnut paneling, book shelves, and gold carpet. It was furnished with a large conference table and chairs. (UPDATE: When the new house at 1002 S. Lincoln was built, the Loy-Reinerd Library was retained. A photo of the current library is above.)
The library was available for use almost a year before it was dedicated. The dedication was scheduled for Homecoming 1969 to coincide with the thirtieth anniversary of the founding of the Fraternity. Prior to the dedication at 4:30 p.m., Nov. 1, 1969, an attractive walnut plaque was unveiled in recognition of the founders of Nabor House Fraternity. The inscription on the bronze title plate is "Nabor House Fraternity Founders, April 29, 1939." A 4x5 framed photograph of each of the five founders is included on the plaque.
A large number of Nabors and guests attended the dedication ceremony, including members of the Loy and Reinerd families, Dean Orville G. Bentley of the College of Agriculture and Mrs. Bentley, and Dr. R.W. Bartlett. Remembrances of Garrett and Neil were given by a classmate of each. After the unveiling of the dedicatory plaque, Mrs. Wood Loy, Garrett's mother, and Dean Reinerd, Neil's brother, responded for their families. Then, Fraternity President Dale E. Ruckman, '59, presented the library to the active Chapter. Robert E. Walker, '71, Illinois Chapter President, accepted the library on behalf of the Chapter.